We’ve put together some commonly asked questions to give you more information about Longstay & Backpacker and the cover we offer. If you have a question that is not answered below please use the contact us page.


Can I extend my cover if I am currently on a trip?

Unfortunately, if you are on a trip and want to extend your cover we will be unable to do so. The policy will expire at the originally agreed date. The only exception to this is if you need to extend your policy following a change in travel plans as a result of the airline reduction and border closures.

In which case, you may extend the policy if:

  • it hasn’t expired
  • no claims have been made or are to be submitted,
  • there has been no change in medical conditions, up to 7 days.

However, only a maximum of 7 days will be granted and no further extension will be given. If you have a valid insurance claim the usual criteria applies, with regards to your insurance extended as part of the assistance case or travel delay after checking in baggage.

Transfer of trips

On a single trip policy, if you have had your trip dates moved and you are not making a claim, then you may transfer the insurance to the new trip dates.

If however there is a change of destination or additional duration then you will be charged the appropriate AP. If your health has changed you may need to rescreen or reconsider cover. Additionally, your new trip cannot be within 90 days from 20th March 2019.

If I have a stop-over in an area which the FCDO advises against travel to, am I still covered?

We would suggest that if you have not started that part of your journey you contact your airline to change your travel plans to move on to the next part of your itinerary.

If you arrive at your stop-over airport and entry is denied due to the virus you should contact your airline to change your travel plans to move on to the next part of your itinerary.

Can my policy be changed to suit a ‘new/different’ holiday or trip?

If you are offered an alternative destination and or dates from your travel agent, we will shift your insurance policy to fit the new trip without any administration charges, providing the new trip is for the same duration and to the same location or geographical area. Please call the customer service team on the number listed in your policy wording.

What can I do with my policy if I am no longer travelling and have received a refund for my holiday?

In the event that you are unable to move the trip to an alternative destination, and are offered a refund from your travel agent or tour operator, we are happy to offer a refund of 50% of the total premium paid. Refunds are provided on the understanding that there have been no claims made or intending to be made.

What cover is provided under the policy?
You can choose from three levels of cover:

Backpacker’ provides essential cover for cancellation; curtailment; personal possessions; emergency medical expenses; personal liability and personal accident.

Longstay’ provides higher limits and additional cover for gadgets; departure delay; missed departure; possessions delayed in transit; personal money & loss of travel documents and legal advice & expenses.

Longstay Plus’ provides the same benefits as Longstay but with enhanced cover limits.

For full details of the cover including terms, conditions and exclusions, please refer to the Insurance Policy.

What cover is provided under the Gadget section of cover?
Please note: Gadget cover is only included with ‘Longstay and Longstay Plus’.

Cover is provided for theft; accidental damage; loss; breakdown and unauthorised call/data use for your gadgets including: handheld consumer electronic devices such as mobile phones, tablets, iPads, kindles, satnavs, cameras, lenses, camcorders, smartwatches, smart glasses, head-mounted displays, handheld games consoles, portable DVD players, headphones, wireless speakers, MP3 players, iPods, and laptop computers (laptops are not covered for accidental loss) and there is no cover provided under this section for drones), purchased as new in the UK or, in the case of refurbished items, not purchased directly from the manufacturer or network provider in the UK. Any device that was purchased as secondhand or used, that is not a refurbished device that was sold with a minimum 12-month warranty; that is no more than 48 months old at the start date of your trip.

What activities do you cover?

Longstay & Backpacker provides a wide range of sports & activities at no extra cost under Activity Pack 1.

Click here to see the list of the free activities we cover.

Other sports & activities not included in Activity Pack 1 may be covered on payment of an additional premium. Click here to see the list of the activities we cover under activity packs 2, 3 & 4.

Should your activity not appear on the list, please call us on 02392 419 070.

What is the maximum trip duration?
Longstay and Backpacker provide cover for single trip travel for periods up to 18 months.
Who is eligible for Longstay & Backpacker Travel Insurance?
The policy is available to UK and Channel Islands residents or for British Forces Posted Overseas (BFPO) who have not spent more than 6 months abroad in the last 12 months.

UK is defined as – England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man.

Channel Islands is defined as – Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, Brecqhou and Lihou.

Is there an age limit?
Longstay & Longstay Plus is available from age 16* or up to age 75 if travelling to European, Australian and New Zealand destinations. For those travelling to Worldwide destinations, the maximum age is 69 on the day you purchase your policy. If you are aged over 75 (or over 69 for Worldwide cover), please contact us for an alternately policy.

Backpacker is available from age 16* or up to age 39 on the day you purchase your policy.

*when travelling independently from an insured adult.

Can I get travel insurance if I have an existing medical condition?
During the online quote process you will be asked a number of medical screening questions. If you answer ‘yes’ to any of these questions, you will need to contact tifgroup-sales on 0203 829 3855 or log onto https://pjhlongstay.medonline.co.uk. They will advise you what cover is available. In some cases an additional premium may be payable if we are able to cover the declared medical condition(s).
Am I able to return home, and then resume my trip?
Yes, the policy allows you to return home for up to two trips, each up to a maximum of 21 days per trip during the policy period. Please note, cover is suspended during the period at home.
Who are the Insurers?
Longstay & Backpacker insurance is arranged by P J Hayman & Company Limited, and insured by White Horse Insurance Ireland dac.

White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is registered in Ireland No. 306045.

White Horse Insurance Ireland dac’s Registered Office is First Floor, Rineanna House, Shannon Free Zone, Shannon, County Clare, Republic of Ireland.

White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is authorised and regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.

Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority.

The nature and extent of consumer protections may differ from those for firms based in the UK.

Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website, our FNR is 203320.

Are there any countries that are not covered?
Longstay & Backpacker Travel Insurance will cover all countries and areas except those which the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) or the World Health Organization (WHO) or similar body has advised against all or all but essential travel.
How do I know what I'm covered for?
Please read the Insurance Policy for details of the cover.
Do I need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?
An EHIC entitles you to reduced-cost, sometimes free, medical treatment that becomes necessary while you are in a European Economic Union (EEA) country or Switzerland. The EEA consists of the European Union (EU) countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. The card gives access to state-provided medical treatment only. Remember, this might not cover all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK. You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care. You may apply for an EHIC online at: www.dh.gov.uk/travellers or by calling 0300 330 1350. Please note: An EHIC is no substitute for travel insurance cover.
Can you resend my policy to me?
Yes. Please send us a message with your policy number (if known), the lead name and the address (for verification) and we will then resend the policy.

Policy Options

Can I delete my excess?
Yes, you can select the ‘Excess waiver’ option during the quote process, by paying an additional premium. The standard excess will then be reduced to ‘nil’.

Note: the excess would still apply for Gadget cover and where any additional excess has been imposed following a call to tifgroup-sales to declare a medical condition.

Are all activities covered free of charge?
No, certain activities can only be covered on payment of an additional premium. See our activities page for more information.

Medical Assistance

Do you have a 24-hour Medical Emergency Assistance Service?
Longstay & Backpacker Travel Insurance has a 24 hour medical emergency and repatriation service.

Tel. +44 (0) 203 829 6745

Further details of this service are shown in your Insurance Policy.

Staff are on call 24 hours a day throughout the year. They will, when necessary, guarantee medical bills and arrange repatriation if required.

In the event of a medical emergency whilst abroad, do I have to pay my medical bills myself?
If you are asked to pay a small bill for medicines and/or outpatient treatment it is often easier to settle your bill direct, keep all receipts and claim for the costs incurred on your return home. It is very important to obtain an itemised receipt for any monies paid for medical treatment.

If you are admitted as an inpatient or outpatient treatment is likely to exceed £500, then you must contact the 24 hour Medical Emergency Assistance Service as soon as possible. They will then arrange for medical expenses covered by the policy to be paid direct to the hospital/clinic.

Making A Claim

How do I make a claim?
Click here for details.
Full details of what you need to do to make a claim are also shown in your Insurance Policy.

Buying Online

How can I pay for my policy?
You can pay by debit or credit card. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
How will I receive my travel insurance policy documents?
Your policy schedule and policy documents are delivered to the email address you provide.
Do I need to take my policy documents with me?
Yes you should print a copy of your Schedule and Policy Documents and carry them with you.

The Policy Document includes important telephone numbers including the Medical Emergency Assistance Service that is available to you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for advice, assistance, making arrangements for hospital admission, repatriation, and authorisation of medical expenses.

Can I get my money back if I want to cancel my policy?
If you are not completely satisfied with the cover provided, you may return your policy to us within 14 days on receipt of your policy documents. Provided that you have not already travelled and are not making a claim, your premium will be refunded in full.