Following the continued and updated news reports regarding the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus in China, we would like to extend our sympathies to those who have been affected, clarify what cover may be available and provide information about the best steps to take.
The Foreign and Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advised the following on Tuesday 28th January:
- We advise against all travel to Hubei Province due to the on-going novel coronavirus outbreak.
- We advise against all but essential travel to the rest of Mainland China (not including Hong Kong and Macao).
Should I leave Hubei Province if I am already there?
- If you are in Hubei Province and are able to leave you should do so. It may become harder over the coming weeks for those who wish to leave China to do so.
- If you feel that you may want to leave China soon, you should consider making plans to do so in case any further restrictions are imposed as the situation develops.
- You should comply with any additional screening measures put in place by the local authorities. For more information and advice, visit the TravelHealthPro website.
We understand that the British Government is planning to bring UK Citizens currently in Hubei Province home. For further information on this, please contact the FCDO 24/7 number +86 (0) 8529 6600 if you are in Hubei Province or the FCDO in London on (+44) (0) 207 008 1500.
What if I am due to fly to Hubei Province or mainland China?
- It has been published that British Airways (BA) has suspended all flights to and from Mainland China with immediate effect, due to the outbreak of the virus.
- If you are due to fly to China with BA, please follow this link for more information about the next steps that can be taken.
For travellers click here for further advice from the UK Government.
Download the PDF below for more information about your Longstay & Backpacker policy:
- Cancellation cover
- Insurance “shifting”. If you are offered an alternative destination and/or dates from your travel agent.
- Premium Refunds
- Returning to the UK earlier than planned
Our general advice to policy-holders at this time is:
- To take guidance as provided by the FCDO and adhere to its advice.
- To not travel contrary to any travel restrictions as may be advised by any government or public/health authority.
- To speak with your travel provider regarding any possible change(s) to your travel itinerary.
- To continue to monitor any further advice as may be provided.
The situation will continue to be monitored. We shall provide further updates as they become available.